Unlike commercial services like Spotify or Apple Music, Startle Music was designed for business use. Therefore, our service covers the required “backend” licences that protect the rights of songwriters, composers and publishers for the distribution of their music to businesses.

For American customers - Startle Music covers the public performance licenses (ASCAP, SESAC, BMI and GMR). As long as your location is playing background music in public (e.g. no entrance fee, or used for fitness) you shouldn’t need any additional licenses.

For UK customers - A further licence called TheMusicLicence is required for playing music in your business. This is administered by PPL PRS, and is required with any B2B music service. Find out more here.

Did this answer your question?